Links to my Vrindavan-related editorials on Vrindavan Today

Satyaraj Prabhu asked me to write about Vrindavan as a tirtha for the upcoming edition of the Journal of Vaishnava Studies. I have written so much over the years, you would think that I had some kind of clear idea of what I want to say. I have been spending my time looking over the old material and trying to reduce it all to around 5000 words and to make a coherent presentation.

The problem is, as always, what do I want to say? What is my “big” realization of the moment? Or the inspiration that guides my understanding of the Dham?

Well, first of all I think it is necessary to distinguish the tirtha from Dham. Tirtha is a place you visit, the Dham is a place you stay. I think that needs to be narrowed down a bit more. Dham includes tirtha, but tirtha does not include Dham. A tirtha is usually primarily about expiating sins, one's own or those of one's forefathers. Its primary goal is mukti, whereas the Dham is about bhakti and enhancing one's devotion to Krishna. Residing in a holy place is always a part of sadhana, but residing in the Dham is in and of itself a sadhana.

So here it is a few days later and I am not much further ahead. I have been looking at my editorials on Vrindavan Today over the past so ever many years, as well as the Vrindavana-mahimamrita posts that seem most relevant.

The following are the most important editorials, 25 in all. These were posted a few days ago on Facebook as a note, but I thought why not share it here too, for the record. Some of these have also been crossposted on this site. Those that haven't perhaps should be.

  1. Service to the Dham is Bhakti (Feb. 2010)
  2. Seva to Vrindavan, not “Save Vrindavan” (Nov. 2010)
  3. Vrindavan is Primarily for the Bhajananandi Vaishnavas (Nov. 2010)
  4. Vrindavan’s VIP Road (Jan. 17, 2011)
  5. Global Warming, the Yamuna and Vrindavan (April, 2011)
  6. Reflections after a Long Weekend (August 2011)
  7. The Good Fortune of Residing in Braj (Aug. 2014)
  8. Looking at Vrindavan’s Future Again (I) (Nov. 2014)
  9. Looking at Vrindavan’s Future Again (II) (Nov. 2014)
  10. Manipur Vaishnavism and Cultural Transplants (Nov. 23, 2015)
  11. Radha and Partha Sarathi (Feb. 27, 2016)
  12. Bhaktivedanta Marg and the Three Vrindavans (March 2, 2016)
  13. The Culture of Consumption and Vrindavan (Apr. 2016)
  14. Creating a Human Sanctuary in Vrindavan (May 2016)
  15. The Dham is Nirguna and Independent in Its Power. (Aug. 2017)
  16. Without Iron Will and Enforcement, no Swaccha Vrindavan (Sept. 2017)
  17. What does it mean to be a Brajbasi ? (Sept. 2017)
  18. Revealing Braj’s true form through Seva (Sept. 2017)
  19. Srila Prabhupada, Globalization, and the Three Vrindavans I (Oct-Nov. 2010)
  20. Srila Prabhupada, Globalization, and the Three Vrindavans II (Oct-Nov. 2010)
  21. Srila Prabhupada, Globalization, and the Three Vrindavans III (Oct-Nov. 2010)
  22. Krishna’s move from Gokula was due to environmental degradation (Jan. 2018
  23. Braja Vasa Sadhana for Foreigners (March 2018)
  24. Religious Tourism and the Sacredness of the Dham (March 2018)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O Mind! Meditate on Radha's Breasts

Swami Vishwananda's Bhakti Marga and Parampara

Erotic sculptures on Jagannath temple