Carpe Diem

was listening to Rajendra Dasji the other day speaking with Binode Bihari Baba. He said that the one-word definition of a Vaishnava is avyartha-kālatvam: He does not waste time, but gives every moment to service. This is what it means to "get serious." Isn't now the time?




Actually, a few years ago when I was in Rishikesh, I was occasionally visiting the Madhuvan temple not far from Ramjhula. This was one of the few places in the world where Kirtanananda Maharaj was still honored as a guru with all the trappings--a vyasasan, a book table selling his books, his picture on the altar, a private residential suite, and so on.
I happened to be there one day when he came for a visit when he was greeted by a mostly Indian audience of devotees. At the time he was in a pitiable physical state, in a wheelchair with one leg in a brace and stretched out embarrassingly in front of him.
Nevertheless, he delivered a short lecture on arrival, no doubt his ready to hand stump speech. His spiel was: "Surrender right now. Now is the time, this very instant, in the here and now! This is the very moment when Krishna wants you to surrender. Don't delay. Do it right now." And he repeated this in different ways, with great vigor.
Although at the time I took the speech as a gimmick, I was nevertheless stirred. Certainly the message is not to be scoffed at, whatever one thinks of the messenger and his motivation.
And now I am thinking: What am I doing wasting so many precious moments indulging my mind's constant thirst for distractions? Have I not heard a million times that this human body is a rare opportunity to attain glory? Even if it were only material glory I was searching for, could I afford to waste another second? But I know the futility of every variety of material glory -- at least in theory -- and yet I permit my moments to be stolen by trivial distractions.
Is it not stated a hundred times in the Bhāgavatam? It is the first thing that Shukadeva says:
śrotavyādīni rājendra nṛṇāṁ santi sahasraśaḥ
apaśyatām ātma-tattvaṁ gṛheṣu gṛha-medhinām
O King, there are thousands of topics to be heard, spoken and discussed in the homes of those human beings who are ignorant of the reality of the Self and are attached to household affairs.
dehāpatya-kalatrādiṣv ātma-sainyeṣv asatsv api
teṣāṁ pramatto nidhanaṁ paśyann api na paśyati
In their attached illusion that the impermanent family members, children and wife will always protect them, they do not see the real inevitability of their own oncoming death, even though it is happening right in front of their eyes.
nidrayā hriyate naktaṁ vyavāyena ca vā vayaḥ
divā cārthehayā rājan kuṭumba-bharaṇena vā
O King! Their nights are wasted in sleeping or in sex indulgence and their days in either chasing after wealth or in maintaining their family members. (SB 2.1.2-4)
tasmād bhārata sarvātmā bhagavān īśvaro hariḥ
śrotavyaḥ kīrtitavyaś ca smartavyaś cecchatābhayam
Therefore, O scion of the Bharata dynasty! One who desires fearlessness should hear about, glorify and also remember the Supreme Lord Hari, the soul of all beings and supreme controller, for he alone steals away all their miseries. (2.1.5)

Comments

Prem Prakash said…
Jagatji, great to have you active again on this site. I hope everything went as well as could be expected with your son.

You make an excellent point: "Certainly the message is not to be scoffed at, whatever one thinks of the messenger and his motivation." We may not care for the mailman, but when he delivers the winning lottery ticket we can certainly be grateful.
Jagadananda Das said…
Premaji! So nice to hear from you again. I have been thinking of you and wanting to write, but I have been undergoing a period of introspection and isolation as well as concentrating on other tasks. I have an urge to come and visit you again, but Anne (Prema Madhuri) and I are not vaccinated and so are quite restricted in our movements. Which is all for the well and good as far as we are concerned and in this age of Zoom there is not too much reason for it. Anyway, I do hope that when restrictions lift, maybe this summer, we could make a little trip to Vermont. Jai Radhe!
Jagadananda Das said…
As to my activity here. Yes I hope to be more active. For the time being I am just throwing back what Facebook memories are being thrown back at me, if they are not already published. But I am mostly working on Prīti Sandarbha, with a bit of urgency. It is the last volume and probably the most important. I was making videos and posting the translations before but I stopped because it was slowing me down (not that you would really notice) and because I felt I should go through the whole book before speaking on it. I am still not quite at the halfway mark believe it or not. And I have been working on the Sandarbhas for ten years now and so I want to get it done with.
Prem Prakash said…
We are not concerned about vaccinations, so as soon as you can get to VT, come visit. The chai will be waiting.

All my best for your completion of the Sandarbhas. It will be an important contribution. I'll probably come back next life, read it, and think, "It sure would have been terrific to have known Jagadananda dass!"

Popular posts from this blog

O Mind! Meditate on Radha's Breasts

Swami Vishwananda's Bhakti Marga and Parampara

Erotic sculptures on Jagannath temple