Sampradayas and Vrindavan, Part II



May 1, 2016 Part One was actually written on April 28, 2016 and is included in the memories for that day. This article also has some relation to the reflections I had on Gurus Falling From the Sky. Unfortunately some of the pages linked to in article have been lost. I would kind of like to see them--I think I wrote what I could find out about Vivekananda, Ramkrishna and Sharada Mother's visits to Vrindavan, but for some reason never crossposted to this blog. 


There are several reasons I decided to write about "sampradaya." A confluence of reasons in sort, but it is an issue that has accompanied me ever since I made the decision to leave ISKCON and take initiation from Lalita Prasad Thakur. 

I have often said that if Prabhupada had not made an issue of the "unbroken disciplic succession" I would never have given it that much thought. And that if he hadn’t himself opened the door to Lalita Prasad Thakur, I might never have taken that direction. 

 I wrote several articles about this subject and have presented my way of thinking at different points in my spiritual career. I have been thinking lately of collecting my musings on these and other historical issues and publishing them as a separate volume, but since I am again at a different point in my life and hopefully my capacity for observation has been leavened with a little more wisdom, I need to express my current and hopefully yet more nuanced point of view. 

The sampradaya issues that are raised by the existence of the Gaudiya Math are just some of the many. They include the question of the relevance of teachings versus official adherence or investment with potency (śakti-pāt).

This is added to by historical problems like Baladeva Vidyabhushan and the question of Chaitanya’s adherence to the Madhva sampradaya.

And then, we have to wonder about Madhavendra Puri’s antecedents in terms of orienting him historically.

And then we can go back to the founders of the four so-called authentic Vaishnava sampradayas, and so on.

 And then there are the countless other sampradayas that rise and fall like waves in the ocean of Sanatan Dharma. A good example is the Ramkrishna Mission, which like ISKCON, does a bhedābheda dance around the question of whether to be or not to be a “Hindu.”  

 The other day I visited the Ramkrishna Mission for an event and wrote small article about it for Vrindavan Today [This article was unfortunately lost and irretrievable.] and also found other material about Ramkrishna and Vrindavan and posted that also. But all that also got me thinking again about history and the way that religions are created, grow and flourish, stagnate or die. 

The RKM’s Swami Suvirananda kept emphasizing in his address that Vivekananda had changed the concept of dharma. There is little doubt he was talking to the converted -- the doctors and practical men in the audience -- about the relationship of critique that they as Ramkrishna Mission sadhus have to the old-time concept of dharma as it exists in Vrindavan. 

“Help and service to the poor and needy” is now the base definition of dharma in India, “Serve God by serving Mankind.” And that is the doing of Vivekananda and others who preached the this modified karma-yoga gospel in the age of the Independence Movement, which holds even to this day.

As we heard from the same Swamiji, PM Narendra Modi in his youth wanted to become a RKM monk and even approached the head of the Mission for admission, but was told that his vocation was elsewhere. So Suvirananda Swami was right: the fundamental concept of Hinduism and Sanatan Dharma took a decided turn with Vivekananda, who was the culmination of the so-called Indian Renaissance, which was the reaction of Hinduism to the British presence, to modernity, and to Christianity.

Religion is always serves as the divine justification for Empire, and conquest ultimately means religious  or ideological conquest. Modernity in Hinduism grew up in relation to and in response to the criticisms of Christianity and Secularism. But Hindus liked the emphasis on love they heard being batted about in Christianity; after all they had heard the word prema before, and they could find that message in their own scriptures, and they decided that this was indeed a true religious approach that was most universal and the most befitting of the concept of progress.

 Vivekananda himself argued: Help the poor, the uneducated, the downtrodden, etc., and help them become materially well-situated because one who is suffering or starving has no mental or physical energy to cultivate spiritual enlightenment. I find that argument somewhat limited, because material progress has the tendency to lead one away from spiritual progress.

There are rickshaw wallahs in my neighborhood who live in the most rudimentary and insalubrious conditions, but they are making material progress. Every one of their huts is decorated with a satellite dish next to the bricks and plastic tarpaulins, and they regularly watch all the soap operas and cricket matches.

Money and progress means more consumption, not more religion, not more peace or enlightenment. The propaganda of materialism increases with its progress with the homogenization of media. I don't know how many of the newly blessed TV-owners watch any of the dozens of religious channels that are out there. But there is an insidious materialism even there also: the medium IS the message.

Anyway, my point is that sampradayas rise and fall in the river of history and are a product of a natural urge in man to find meaning in his own individual and collective historical circumstances. Different individuals embody particular ideas for which they find persuasive means of expression; they influence larger groups of human beings to act in accordance with those particular ideals. The way those ideas or memes survive and adapt to changing conditions is the life story of a sampradaya.

In actual fact, Sanatan Dharma is the One Sampradaya, the root and trunk, and all the rest are branches. In the case of the Ramkrishna Mission, the "new concept of dharma" is manifest in the RKM's own cultural ethos. For instance, their promotion (or at least tolerance) of an animal-flesh diet has made them much more attractive to many modernizers and demythologizers and evolvers who think that this is the way of progress.

The monks themselves strike one very much as technocrats in the same way vein as we see in some other modern Indian religious groupings like ISKCON Bangalore and a lot of the other South Indian sects, all founded by men and women who truly belong the modern world -- educated, anglicized, aware, eloquent, cultured, dedicated. They belong to the modern Indian (especially the Bengali) world, but even as that has been globalized, vacuumed into that homogenized world culture that is being created even as I sit here typing and participating in it.

 I don't really want to go into an analysis of the changing forms of religion as they manifest in Indian society. I am really only interested in the various versions of these currents as they are in play in Vrindavan, and I will go into that further in subsequent articles When I was posting the article about Ramkrishna in Vrindavan (Dead link: http://news.vrindavantoday.org/2016/04/ramkrishna-paramahamsas-visit-to-vrindavan-in-his-words/), I cut out the first sentence of his speech because I did not see its relevance, but later I understood it.

Ramkrishna prefaced his recollection of the trip to Vrindavan with the words, "Let me tell you something. One should follow various paths. One should practice each creed for a time." Ramkrishna was famous for this approach, and his disciples often proudly point to his "practice" of Sufism or Christianity, and in several instances, of Vaishnavism. But dilettantism is not the path to God, thought it might help with understanding. If anything, Ramkrishna was a bhakta of the Goddess, and so in all these instances he could perhaps find the common point of devotion, as is described in his visit to Vrindavan.

His "checking out" other spiritual paths was really only meant to confirm and legitimize his real spiritual commitment to the Mother. There may be many paths, but he did not really follow many, he followed HIS path and took occasional spiritual “vacations” in other paths.

 And that is really the point of sampradaya.

Vivekananda changed the focus from the Mother Goddess to Ramkrishna himself, and made bhakti to God as manifest in humanity the real culture of exclusive devotion to Ramkrishna and by extension to the Mother, and to the One God who underlies all these phenomenal appearances. One may say that a sampradaya was born in the particular crucible that connected Ramkrishna to the modern world through Vivekananda. I will continue these reflections over the coming days.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Use the Internet Archive WaybackMachine: https://web.archive.org/ to search the digital archive of cached web pages.

I.e., the deadlink spoken of in paragraph 21 may be found and read at:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170720081948/https://news.vrindavantoday.org/2016/04/ramkrishna-paramahamsas-visit-to-vrindavan-in-his-words/

Anonymous said…
From the Gospel of Ramkrishna:

Ramkrishna Paramahamsa said:

Let me tell you something. One should follow various paths. One should practice each creed for a time.

There are two classes of. yogis: the bahudakas and the kutichakas. The bahudakas roam about visiting various holy places and have not yet found peace of mind. But the kutichakas, having visited all the sacred places, have quieted their minds. Feeling serene and peaceful, they settle down in one place and no longer move about. In that one place they are happy; they don’t feel the need of going to any sacred place. If one of them ever visits a place of pilgrimage, it is only for the purpose of new inspiration.

I had to practise each religion for a time – Hinduism, Islam, Christianity. Furthermore, I followed the paths of the Saktas, Vaishnavas, and Vedantists. I realized that there is only one God toward whom all are travelling; but the paths are different.

While visiting the holy places, I would sometimes suffer great agony. Once I went with Mathur to Raja Babu’s drawing-room in Benares. I found that they talked there only of worldly matters – money, real estate, and the like. At this I burst into tears. I said to the Divine Mother, weeping: ‘Mother! Where hast Thou brought me? I was much better off at Dakshineswar.’ In Allahabad I noticed the same things that I saw elsewhere – the same ponds, the same grass, the same trees, the same tamarind-leaves.

But one undoubtedly finds inspiration in a holy place. I accompanied Mathur Babu to Vrindavan. Hriday and the ladies of Mathur’s family were in our party. No sooner did I see the Kaliyadaman Ghat than a divine emotion surged up within me. I was completely overwhelmed. Hriday used to bathe me there as if I were a small child.

In the dusk I would walk on the bank of the Jamuna when the cattle returned along the sandy banks from their pastures. At the very sight of those cows the thought of Krishna would flash in my mind. I would run along like a madman, crying: ‘Oh, where is Krishna? Where is my Krishna?’

I went to Syamakunda and Radhakunda in a palanquin and got out to visit the holy Mount Govardhan. At the very sight of the mount I was overpowered with divine emotion and ran to the top. I lost all consciousness of the world around me. The residents of the place helped me to come down. On my way to the sacred pools of Syamakunda and Radhakunda, when I saw the meadows, the trees, the shrubs, the birds, and the deer, I was overcome with ecstasy. My clothes became wet with tears.

I said: ‘O Krishna! Everything here is as it was in the olden days. You alone are absent.’ Seated inside the palanquin I lost all power of speech. Hriday followed the palanquin. He had warned the bearers to be careful about me.

Gangamayi became very fond of me in Vrindavan. She was an old woman who lived all alone in a hut near the Nidhuvan. Referring to my spiritual condition and ecstasy, she said, ‘He is the very embodiment of Radha.’ She addressed me as ‘Dulali’. When with her, I used to forget my food and drink, my bath, and all thought of going home. On some days Hriday used to bring food from home and feed me. Gangamayi also would serve me with food prepared by her own hands.

Gangamayi used to experience trances. At such times a great crowd would come to see her. One day, in a state of ecstasy, she climbed on Hriday’s shoulders.

I didn’t want to leave her and return to Calcutta. Everything was arranged for me to stay with her. I was to eat double-boiled rice, and we were to have our beds on either side of the cottage. All the arrangements had been made, when Hriday said: ‘You have such a weak stomach. Who will look after you?’ ‘Why,’ said Gangamayi, ‘I shall look after him. I’ll nurse him.’ As Hriday dragged me by one hand and she by the other, I remembered my mother, who was then living alone here in the nahabat of temple garden. I found it impossible to stay away from her, and said to Gangamayi, ‘No, I must go.’ I loved the atmosphere of Vrindavan.

Jagadananda Das said…
Thanks for finding that. I did not know how to search for that. I did not really see a search option . Now I need to find that Vivekananda article also.
.
'
Anonymous said…

It is also worth knowing that on the Internet Archive WaybackMachine webpage https://web.archive.org/ (bottom right-hand side) one may capture a web page as it appears now for use as a trusted citation in the future.

Just copy and paste the URL of the webpage one wishes to archive and click save now (a useful tool to make a web page permanent in a transitory online world…).

Popular posts from this blog

O Mind! Meditate on Radha's Breasts

Swami Vishwananda's Bhakti Marga and Parampara

Erotic sculptures on Jagannath temple