The stillness of mind generated by the body’s stillness


It is hard to find a title that covers the spread of topics in these posts, which usually cover a variety of topics very briefly. What struck me here is the pretty defensive post about Satyanarayana Dasaji that comes out of one of the events from 2018 that was preoccupying me.

All this was hashed out on the blog over a fairly extended period of time. At some point I took the risk of being a little public and that particular philosophy of life has obviously had the expected results. Anyway, four years ago I decided I had to state the nature of my relationship with Satyanarayana Dasa Babaji, and you may find other such statements on this blog. I am bound to Babaji until at least the end of the Sandarbhas project, which is currently in its final phase, but I am feeling the pressure to get it done. There is still quite a bit to do, but naturally Babaji is anxious to get it completed. So really it is topmost in my mind at the present time. I don't want to get too sentimental about it; I am too proud and independent to "surrender" completely to Babaji the way some people insist that I should, but I do recognize him as a far greater devotional scholar and personality than I will ever be. So to glorify him will certainly do me no harm, though some say it may harm him. Naah.


2018

For relief, Bhagavata class at Bhagavata Niwas. Vrindavan vāsa means Bhagavata sanga.

[And I am missing that.]





2018

Some people are currently trying to portray my relationship with Satyanarayana Dasa Babaji as that of a sycophant and parasitical hanger-on, and so on. Here is the truth:

I am Satyanarayana Dasa's servant. I serve the Jiva Institute because I share in its ideals: namely the furthering of Sanskrit education and knowledge of the shastras of the Six Goswamis.

I serve as an editor on the Six Sandarbhas, currently working on Bhakti Sandarbha. It is my great fortune to work on this historic project, Babaji's life's work, which will be, in my opinion, the authoritative translation and commentary on the Six Sandarbhas.

The reason for this is that, even with his learning, Babaji does not proudly think that he has done a perfect job, but still seeks the help of others who may add different perspectives or improve the understanding of the text and its rendering into Englsh.

It is another great fortune for me that he trusts me sufficiently to allow me complete freedom to edit these texts. I take it as a great opportunity and responsibility that have been given me by Sri Jiva Prabhu himself.

Babaji is also facilitating the publication of other manuscripts that I have prepared over the years, first of which will be Gopala Tapani Upanishad. Just as he is facilitating the publication of Demian Martins' discoveries, and others. Babaji is not interested in selfishly pursuing his own name and fame, but only bhakti and service to the Vaishnavas who love the knowledge taught by the Six Goswamis.

Since I am deepening my study of the Sandarbhas under Babaji's guidance, he is my guru.

Since I am in a relation of service and dependence, Satyanarayana Dasji is my guru, and I will not tolerate those who blaspheme him.

It is by Babaji's grace that I have been able to roll in the Vrindavan dust for the past ten years.

Babaji has also facilitated my service to Vrindavan Today and to Grantha Mandir, both projects which are still alive and will both realize their potential by Radharani's grace and the support of the Vaishnavas. I am grateful to him for that.

I have observed him for the past ten years and I have seen nothing to reproach him for. He is a scholar and his only interest is to further the teachings of Sri Jiva and the Bhagavatam, and to do honor to his guru by teaching what he learned from him. Anyone who ascribes mundane venality or perversity onto Satyanarayana Dasaji will never find a friend in me. Anyone who thinks I have any unholy motivation in seeking his association are the blindest fools.

If anyone values my word or my character, then the instant you hear blasphemy of Satyanarayana Dasa Babaji, cover your ears and run from the spiritual disease that threatens to infest you. The very worst of asat-sanga is the one who revels in speaking Vaishnava ninda.



2016

śūnyāyitaṁ jagat sarvam govinda-virahena me



2016

নামের সদৃশ জ্ঞান নাহিক নির্মল ।
নামের সদৃশ ব্রত নাহিক প্রবল ॥৪॥
নামের সদৃশ ধ্যান নাহি এ জগতে ।
নামের সদৃশ ফল নাহি কোন মতে ॥৫॥
নামের সদৃশ ত্যাগ কোন রূপে নপৢঅ ।
নামের সদৃশ শম কভু নাহি হয ॥৬॥
নামের সদৃশ পুণ্য নাহি এ সংসারে ।
নামের সদৃশ গতি না দেখি বিচারে ॥৭॥
নাম-ই পরম মুক্তি নাম উচ্চ গতি ।
নাম-ই পরম শান্তি নাম উচ্চ স্থিতি ॥৮॥
নাম-ই পরম ভক্তি নাম শুদ্ধা মতি ।
নাম-ই পরম প্রীতি নাম পরা স্মৃতি ॥৯॥
নাম-ই কারণ তত্ত্ৱ নাম সর্ৱ প্রভু ।
পরম আরাধ্য নাম গুরু-রূপে বিভু ॥১০॥



2015

From Swami Veda Bharati's commentary to YS III.31

Vyāsa’s example of the stillness of serpents is well known in the folklore. Snakes are known to stay absolutely still for long periods. The stillness feature of iguanas is not so well known, but we may here quote from a newspaper article found on the internet.

…the iguana is worth considering for its ability to hide in plain sight. It is there in front of you and yet not seen. It disappears into its stillness. It is as unmoving as the stones of Uxmal.

Richard O’Mara on Uxmal, Mexico. Baltimore Sun Journal, Feb. 2, 1997.

(HA) Vyāsa’s term sthira-padam (state of steadiness and stillness) means it is the stillness of mind generated by the body’s stillness. This [can be inferred], because this siddhi is included among those that constitute knowledge (jñāna-rūpa-siddhi). As a serpent or an iguana, of its own will, stays with an immobile body like that of an immovable stump (sthāṇu), so also the yogin’s remaining motionless is not disturbed by any involuntary motion of the limbs (aṅgam-ejayatva), one of the five accompaniments (I.31) of the nine impediments (I.30).



2010 Rishikesh

Even though cleaning a gun is quite helpful as a part of a sharpshooter’s discipline, it does not guarantee that one hits the mark when one uses that weapon. In the same way, the practices of jñāna and vairāgya, though beneficial, do not assure the attainment of bhakti.



2010

It looks like the rainy season has arrived. At least, the sky is filled with black clouds, wall to wall.

Only the most perfunctory of rainfalls. But the mountains now have a purple-gray backdrop, with a fluffy cream cover of white cloud riding their crowns. And in the ravines, from which only a week or two ago arose columns of smoke, there are now splashes of mist.



Comments

Prem Prakash said…
I've been following some of the links in these memory posts and reading your recollections of time with your guruji and other devotees. Very inspiring. I say, bring it on, more. Maybe you can write a small series, something like, "Bhaktas I have know."

Popular posts from this blog

O Mind! Meditate on Radha's Breasts

Swami Vishwananda's Bhakti Marga and Parampara

Erotic sculptures on Jagannath temple